Frequently Asked Questions
- Twos Program: Age 2.0 years by July 31
- Preschool 3s Half-Day: Age 3.0 years by September 1
- Preschool 3s Full-Day: Age 3 years 3 months by September 1. If your child is currently enrolled in a full-day program and has a summer birthday, we can accept an application to the Full-Day PS 3s.
- Preschool 4s Half-Day & Full-Day: Age 4.0 years by September 1
- Kindergarten: Age 5.0 years by September 1
- Grade 1: Age 6.0 years by September 1
Please note: a child has to be fully toilet trained before beginning the Full-Day program.
When is your application deadline?
Twos Program: October 11, 2019, 5 pm.
Kindergarten - Grade 8: November 8, 2019, 5 pm.
Preschool 3s & 4s: November 15, 2019, 5 pm.
*Prior approval from the Admissions Office is required to apply to Grade 8 since it is the terminal grade
When will parents be notified of admissions decisions?
BHMS adheres to the ISAAGNY (Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York) notification dates. Notification is sent via email. For the 2020-21 school year:
Twos, PS 3s, and PS 4s applicants notification is sent on February 27, 2020 (family response due by noon, March 5)
Kindergarten applicants notification is sent on February 7, 2020 (family response due by noon, Feb. 14)
Grades 1-8 applicants notification is sent on February 4, 2020 (family response due by noon, Feb. 25)
Who comes when?
The parent/guardian interview is scheduled once an application form and fee have been submitted to the school.
All eligible applicants will be scheduled for a visit to the School and need to be accompanied by one parent or guardian.
- Candidates for the Twos, PS 3s, and PS4s will be scheduled for a 30 minute small group visit on a weekend or weekday in the fall and early winter.
- Candidates for Kindergarten will be scheduled for a 60 minute small group visit on a regular school day, in the fall and early winter.
- Candidates for Grades 1 - 3 will be scheduled for a visit on a regular school day, in the fall and early winter.
- Candidates for Grades 4 - 5 will be scheduled for a visit on a regular school day, in the fall and early winter.
- Candidates for Grades 6 - 8 will be scheduled for a 3 hour visit on a regular school day, in the fall and early winter.
What do I do if I have to cancel a scheduled admissions appointment?
Please call the Admissions Office immediately at 718-858-5100 x 120. We will make every attempt to reschedule cancelled appointments; however, be aware that during the busy admissions season rescheduling may be difficult and is not guaranteed.
What are the entry points?
The Twos Program and Preschool 3s are the largest entry points. However, every year children join the community in the Preschool 4s through Grade 7.
What are the program hours?
- 3-Day Twos: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00am - 11:45 am
- 2-Day Twos: Thursday, Friday 9:00am - 11:45 am
- Half-Day Preschool: 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Full-Day Preschool and Kindergarten: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Grades 1-3: 8:25am - 3:00pm
- Grades 4-8: 8:15am - 3:15pm
Is there Early Care and After Care available?
We offer Early Morning Drop-Off (EMD) beginning at 8:00am for students age 3+. EMD is free of charge but students must be registered in advance.
We have a robust after school program, Montessori Afternoons Plus (MAP) available to all full day students. MAP is fee based and registration is required. Learn more about our after school offerings by visiting the MAP page.