Join Our Faculty & Staff
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity, social justice and equity. In that spirit, BHMS does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.
To apply for a position listed below, click on the job posting and then click on the "Apply For This Position" link. If there are no current opportunities listed, you are welcome to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for future positions.
Human Resources & Payroll Manager
FLSA Classification: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Finance & Operations
- Onboarding of all new employees, temp, 1099s, and contractors
- Administer all employee benefits and ensure effective and timely communication.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective compliance with applicable employment regulations.
- Oversee fingerprinting, sexual harassment, NYS Mandated Reporter compliance requirements.
- Manage employee time and attendance reporting in Payroll system (Paycom)
- Review and manage workers compensation and NYS Unemployment claims
- Review all Insurance and Pension invoices for accuracy
- Oversee the employee orientation process and document completion.
- Consult with employees to resolve personnel issues.
- Coordinate recruitment with departments representatives.
- Coordinate salary changes and oversee correct FLSA classification of jobs.
- Maintain secure and confidential human resource related files and records.
- Prepare and maintain accurate job descriptions.
- Consult with Director of Finance, as necessary to minimize potential liability.
- Compile data needed to complete nondiscrimination testing for FSA.
- File annual 5500 reports for qualified benefit plans.
- Review and revise employee handbook relating to employee issues and make recommendations as needed.
- File all required HR documentation, as needed.
- Enroll employees on school’s 403B pension plan
- Oversee the submission of monthly contributions for pension plan
- Prepare benefit requests for Defined Benefit Plan participants.
- File 5500 reports for pension plans.
- Collect data for nondiscrimination testing.
- Assist in processing payroll
- Assist in reviewing timesheets
- Manage time and attendance process in payroll system
- Serve as back-up in processing payroll
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of four years of increasingly responsible human resources experience.
- Knowledge of CARES Act policies
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels in the organizations.
- Working knowledge of human resource principles, procedures and practices.
- Ability to effectively deal with multiple priorities, functions and activities.
- Strong working knowledge of recent FMLA and PFL
- Short and Long-term Disability policies
- Working knowledge and skill of basic business software, including word processing spreadsheets and data base tracking systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters pertaining to personnel, payroll and HR matters.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Generally, works in standard office conditions and climate.
- Works in a high stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.